Sign up for a FREE account now to improve your hunting.


Staff Article

Shandi Martinez

CA, ID, IA, WA, and WY Tips

By Shandi Martinez, License Application Service Manager

May 2016

There are six state deadlines in May, making this one of the busiest months of the year for the License Application Department. Some of the states covered in this issue can be tricky to apply for, but I’m here to give you some insight and help you through it.


If you have never applied in California before, you are required to prove that you have hunted before or that you have taken a hunter education course, no matter your age. To do this, you must first go online and create an account where you will be issued a GO ID number. You can then either fax your proof of hunter education to 916-419-7585 or email it to LRB@; you can send either a copy of your hunter education card or a copy of a hunting license issued from any state within the last two years. Include your GO ID number along with your name and phone number. It might take them a few days, but you can check your account online and it will tell you when it has been added. Once your account is updated, you can purchase your hunting license and select the species you want to apply for.

Non-residents applying for deer are required to pay the entire tag fee up front. The tag fee is not automatically refunded if you don’t draw, you have to request it by March 1st of the next year. Make sure you do this or you’ll be out $268 every year for no reason.


Idaho has a two-step process when applying online. First, you’ll select “Buy License, Tags, and Permits,” purchase your Hunting/3-Day Fishing license, and check out completely. You’ll then get a receipt that shows your 11-digit license number. You’ll need that number in order to apply for a controlled hunt and to look up your draw results later on, so save that receipt. Once you’ve purchased your license, go back to the page you started on and this time select “Controlled Hunt Applications.” Type in the four-digit hunt code for the unit you want to apply for; these codes can change every year, so make sure you’re using current regulations. Then you’ll simply enter your license number and check out.


If you’ve never applied in Iowa before and you were born after January 1, 1972, you are required to submit proof of hunter education before applying. To do this, you must first call the Iowa DNR at 800-367-1188 to set up your account and create a Customer ID number. Once you’ve done this, you can take a picture of your hunter education and email it to with the subject line “Hunter Ed.” In the body of your email, write “License for Iowa” and include your Customer ID number. Make sure your first name and last name are visible on your hunter education card as well as the state of issue and your hunter education number, if you have one.

If you are applying for the draw in Iowa, you are required to purchase a hunting license and pay the habitat fee. You can buy these in a combo for $2 less than if you purchase them separately, and it saves you a step by adding them both to your cart at the same time. Once you’ve added those, you can add your deer license. An antlerless only deer license will be added automatically as this is required with your any deer license. If you don’t draw, all fees will be refunded except $50 for your preference point. Iowa also has a points only option in which you only have to pay the $50 point fee.


Washington has a two-step process to apply. For the first step, go to “Special Permit Applications” on their homepage and there is a link to purchase your applications. Make sure you select “ram” and “any moose” when applying for sheep and moose as you can’t get a refund if you accidentally apply for a ewe or a cow hunt. After checking out, go back to the page you started on and select “Submit Your Application.” There is no payment required for the second step, but make sure you submit your applications or you won’t be in the draw.


Wyoming offers a Special license and a Regular license for deer and antelope. The only differences between the two are the draw odds and the price. We list the odds for both in this issue, so compare the odds of the different licenses in the unit you want and decide which license you want to buy. Wyoming also uses “types” to signify limitations on a unit. It can be for the gender, the season dates, the type of weapon permitted, or the portion of a unit the license is valid for. If you just want a point this year, you only have to pay the point fees up front, which are different for every species. The application period for Points Only is July to October.

Some of the application processes and requirements for these states can be difficult and can trip you up when applying. Feel free to give me a call if you need more assistance or consider using our License Application Service and we’ll take care of everything for you.